IG LONDON NOCTURNE GIVES LONDON A TASTE OF THE GAMES
- Ian Stannard (Team Sky) wins Saint-Gobain Elite Criterium Race -
London’s inner city streets played host to the world’s top pro cycling talent tonight (9th June), with Ian Stannard (Team Sky) winning the men’s Saint-Gobain Elite Criterium to take the crown as the fastest street racer on Earth at the IG London Nocturne. Kristian House (Rapha Condor Sharp) came in second closely followed by Niklas Gustavsson (Team UK Youth).
Stannard on the podium with House and Gustavson
Now in its sixth year in the capital, the event celebrated another record breaking year with an estimated crowd of over 12,000 packed around Smithfield Market to witness an evening of extraordinary entertainment including a GB vs. Australia Team Pursuit head to head just weeks from the London 2012 Olympic Games.
This year’s men’s race featured ten pro teams with riders from Team Sky and Orica-GreenEdge lining up alongside the leading British squads. Fresh from the Giro d’Italia, Stannard - who also won the Elite Elimination Race today, and Matt Goss (Aus) were more than ready to take on the twists and turns of the Nocturne circuit. Olympic gold medallist Brett Lancaster (Aus) was also at the forefront of this year’s glittering elite field which reinforced the IG London Nocturne's reputation as the premier Elite Criterium in the UK.
Ian Stannard commented after the race, “It’s been a fantastic night and it was a great race. The crowd was phenomenal – so many people coming out to watch a street bike race in Britain. With the Olympics just around the corner it really doesn’t get any better!”
The Rapha Women’s Elite Criterium, which was reinstated this year due to unprecedented demand from the elite cycling community, was won, for the fourth time, by Hannah Barnes (Team-Ibis-Cycles). The elite field was headed up by Paralympic Champion Sarah Storey (Escentual For VioRed), who finished in 10th place. Hannah Welter (Netherlands) came in second place and Belinda Goss (Escentual For VioRed) finished in third.
Hannah Barnes commented after the race, “I love the London Nocturne because of the course and the crowd support – the atmosphere is electric. It was great to race it and win it for the fourth time and I hope to be back again next year.”
Gray McKinnel sprint to victory in the Brooks Penny Farthing Race
IG London Nocturne organiser James Pope said; "The capital is set for an exciting summer of sport culminating in the Olympics and we were delighted to kick it off with the IG London Nocturne. It has been another nail biting night of racing and we would like to thank all the riders, sponsors and crew that made it happen. If you didn’t manage to get down to Smithfield Market tonight you can catch the highlights on Channel 4 on 17th June at 07.10 and online on 4OD.”
Race Results 2012
- Saint Gobain Elite Men’s criterium winner
- Elite Elimination Race winner
- IG City Criterium winner
- Leigh Day Kermesse winner
Ian Stannard (Team Sky)
Hannah Barnes (Team-Ibis-Cycles)
Ian Stannard (Team Sky)
Gray McKinnel (New Zealand)
All race results now available on the race pages - see programme for links
- 19/09/13: London Nocturne confirmed for Saturday 7th June 2014
- 15/06/13: Hannah Barnes confirmed as Elite Women's Crit winner
- 13/06/13: Official statement on Elite Women's Criterium
- 08/06/13: Trott and Scully triumph in thrilling 2013 elite races
- 04/06/13: World class field assembles for the IG London Nocturne
- 31/05/13: Movistar duo Dowsett and Intxausti to ride on 8th June
- 30/05/13: IG City Criterium roller racing launch at Rapha shop
- 15/05/13: Win a Condor Potenza bike and Rapha Pro Team kit!
- 15/05/13: Register for the LCC Urban Cycle Cross, new for 2013
- 30/04/13: Wiggle Honda to compete in Elite Women's Criterium
- 17/04/13: IG London Nocturne partners with Time Out in 2013
- 21/01/13: Round up of the action from the London Bike Show launch
- 19/01/13: Bibby takes win for Madison-Genesis in Norglide Crit
- 19/01/13: Day 2 round up - Copie wins Rapha Women's Race